Small businesses require a Google My Business Listing!
- Search Engine Optimization. It’s a Google world and a Listing helps increase your rankings, particularly for local searches.
- Adds professionalism to the Search Engine Results Page. Your profile shows up when your company name is searched.
- Provides a convenient link for clients to connect via your website, phone or map.
- It’s easy for customers to add reviews and a great place for potential customers to check you out.
- You can rotate photos and videos.
What if Your Location is not Open to the Public?
I am often asked if businesses require a Listing if their business is not open to the public, The answer is YES! All Small businesses should register with Google My Business, particularly for their SEO. It’s excellent for local search rankings, but helps with national and international rankings also.
Remember, we live in a Google World…do you perform an internet search or do you Google a topic?
A key feature of your listing will be the Map: Google shows a map with an address pin on its Search Engine Results Page.
If you do not want to use your home address an option is to get a mailing address like a commercial post box or mailbox service. If you use a commercial mailbox, call it a Suite # instead of a P.O. Box
Steps to Register a Google My Business Listing
- Sign up for a Google Account. If you have a Gmail address you already have an account. If you do not yet have a Google Account go to: https://accounts.google.com/signup. It is a good idea to have separate business and personal Google Accounts.
- Once you have a Google Account go to: https://www.google.ca/business/ Complete the registration information. It’s easy to do if you simply follow the steps.
- Google sends a postcard via snail mail. Use the PIN number on the post card to validate your Listing. Keep an eye out for the card about a week after you register your Listing.
- Check your Listing to make sure all of the information is correct.
- Add great photos and get lots of reviews.
- Keep the Listing up to date.
Completing your Google My Business Listing is a necessary first step on the path to a successful digital presence.
Do you have one…..yet!?
Until next week……
Remember: smile often, laugh loudly and, if you can, call your mother!