Local online directories are powerful tools for helping smaller companies get larger footprints on the internet.
There are 2 distinct levels of getting listed online:
- Major search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo – often done by webmaster.
- Local directories – can easily be done by the business owner.
With the vast proliferation of companies specializing in online activities, every community has some sort of directory of local businesses.
Once you do a bit of research about what directories are available in your area, you will find a goldmine that is yours for the taking. Usually the only work involved is completing a form and submitting it to the directory.
Getting listed in online directories does a couple of things for a business:
- Makes it easier to find you online in the very noisy internet.
- Increases your overall digital presence thereby making the business more credible and trustworthy.
- Locally it can establish a relationship with local media sources that can be used for further promotion and marketing.
Making sure that you have a presence everywhere your potential customers might find you is critical to any local marketing plan.
It’s a great way to be found online and set yourself apart from your competition.
Look for a list of helpful resources in my next post.